Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District students will adhere to a dress code as outlined in the Student Handbook.
Dress Code for Grades K-12
- School Colors:
Black, Gold/Yellow, White, Grey*
- Appropriate shirt styles:
Short-sleeve or long-sleeve collared shirts, including polo and button down styles and/or turtlenecks
- School/District t-shirts may be worn any day.
- Optional clothing items:
Sweater vests and/or fleece vests in the school colors will be allowed. Jumpers and dresses will also be allowed in school colors.
- Bottoms must be black or khaki colored.*
- Black and/or khaki denim are allowed.
- Sagging pants will not be allowed.
Any sweater, sweatshirt, or pullover to be worn inside all day must follow the color combination selected by the school. Outerwear may be of the parents’ or students’ choosing. Outerwear is defined as a jacket/coat that completely opens in front.
*Students who attend East and West Elementary School may also continue to wear navy as a designated school color for bottoms and/or shirts if they choose while also having the option of the additional colors listed above.
Dress Code FAQ’s
Can we wear shorts, skirts, and/or capris?
Yes, shorts can be worn. Length of shorts and/or skirts should be no more than 3″ above the knees in grades K-12.
Appropriate types of bottoms are pants, shorts, capris, and skirts in grades K-12. Skorts are allowed in grades K-5. Bottoms must be either black or khaki color. Pants with belt loops will require that a belt be worn. No warm up pants, wind pants, cargo (multiple large pockets) pants or cargo shorts, biking shorts, stretch pants, pajama bottoms, or leggings are allowed as pants. Leggings and tights may be worn with skirts or skorts. Denim pants in black or khaki color are allowed in grades K-12.
Can we wear long sleeve shirts in cooler weather months?
Yes, collared long sleeve shirts, such as a long sleeve polo or button down, are allowed. According to the policy, appropriate tops include collared shirts or blouses or turtle necks. All tops must have sleeves and be a length that overlaps the waistband of the pants, shorts, or skirt. Long sleeve t shirts in the school colors may also be worn under collared shirts, including short sleeve polo style shirts.
Can we wear shoes of our choosing?
Yes, you may wear any style footwear designated. No particular style or color is required. However, high heels or skate shoes are not permitted in grades K-5. House shoes, shower shoes, and rubber flip flops are not permitted. All shoes must be properly tied or fastened.
Can we wear school/district sweatshirts?
Yes, school/district sweatshirts are allowed.
General exceptions to part(s) of the policy will be taken in to consideration and should be cleared with the principal of the student’s school. The exceptions may include but are not limited to:
- Clothing required by adherence to religious standards (scarves or other head covering)
- Allergies to dyes
- Eye condition requiring that a student wear dark lenses
In each school, the teachers and administrators are responsible for enforcing the dress code policy. The principal shall have authority to determine whether a student is meeting the dress code standards. Students will be subject to dispositions indicated in the discipline policy of each school for failure to comply with the dress code.
Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District students in grades 6-12 will be required to wear identification (ID) badges at all times on school grounds. Failure to wear an ID badge will be treated as a discipline offense. Students must adhere to the below listed information concerning ID badges.
- ID badges must be worn at all times.
- ID badges must be worn around the neck, outside of clothing.
- ID badges must be worn on the correct colored school-issued lanyard.
- ID badges are property of the Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District and must not be defaced. The badge will be confiscated and the student must purchase a new ID if this occurs. Picture and information must be clearly visible.
- Students must not wear an ID badge belonging to another student. These IDs will be confiscated.
- Every student is issued an ID badge and lanyard at the beginning of the school year. If students misplace or lose their ID, a new one must be purchased ($2.00 for each badge, $1.00 for each lanyard).
- Failure to properly wear an ID badge will be treated as a discipline offense as stated in the Discipline Code.
- If a student forgets his/her permanent ID badge, a temporary ID will be issued at a cost of $1.00. A student is only allowed three (3) temporary ID badges per academic year. Upon each subsequent occurrence the student will be required to purchase a permanent ID badge.
- Students are required to have their ID badge to check out books in the media center.
- Students are required to have their ID badge for breakfast/lunch checkout.