GIFTED & TALENTED EDUCATION
Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District offers two programs for gifted and talented students: PEAK and VIVA. Program for the Enrichment of Academic Knowledge (PEAK) is designed for students who meet state guidelines for the Intellectually Gifted and is taught in grades 2-6. Verbal Innovations and Visual Arts (VIVA) is designed for students who meet state guidelines for artistically gifted and is taught in grades 4-5.
The mission of the SOCSD Gifted & Talented Education department is to identify and nurture exemplary talents by providing differentiated intellectual, creative, and artistic opportunities that enable learners to realize their fullest potential as contributing citizens of the world.
Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District takes pride in PEAK, its intellectually gifted program designed for students who meet state guidelines for eligibility in grades 2-6. Copies of minimal acceptable criteria for eligibility are located in the office of each elementary school, each gifted program teacher’s classroom, and in the Office of Student Support Services.
PEAK Program Goals
- Provide an appropriate and challenging learning environment that offers identified learners’ exposure to wider intellectual horizons while emphasizing thinking abilities and independent learning skills.
- Provide learning alternatives that encourage individual growth based on abilities, interests, and learning needs.
- Provide opportunities to solve real-life problems and develop products and information that will be communicated to others.
- Provide opportunities for the development of a realistic understanding of personal strengths and potential and acceptance of self and others.
PEAK Referral and Assessment
District personnel adhere to state guidelines to determine eligibility for the intellectually gifted program.
VIVA (Artistically Gifted)
Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District takes pride in its artistically gifted program, which is designed for students who meet state guidelines for eligibility in grades 4-5. Copies of minimal acceptable criteria for eligibility are located in the office of each elementary school, each gifted program teacher’s classroom, and in the Office of Student Support Services.
VIVA Art Program Goals
- Encourage and develop higher order thinking skills by enhancement and development of originality and creativity. Develop a comprehensive overview of visual arts, art history, and artists and their styles through experimentation and exploration.
- Explore a variety of media and to develop each student’s own art style and, therefore, allow the student opportunities to express himself and communicate to others through the visual arts.
VIVA Art Referral and Assessment
District personnel adhere to state guidelines to determine eligibility for the artistically gifted program.
For more information about SOCSD’s gifted education programs and course offerings, please refer to the student handbook.
While state guidelines require districts to have a gifted program in grades 2-6, the Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District supports arts education as a strong component of our broad curriculum and continues to offer advanced courses for students in art and drama in grades 7-12 that are beyond the state requirements. For more information regarding SOCSD’s fine arts program and course offerings, contact your child’s school counselor.