STUDENT DRESS CODE
The Starkville Oktibbeha School District Board of Trustees encourages students to be dressed and groomed in a manner which reflects good taste, decency, and pride in appearance as this weill contribute to the maintenance of a proper learning environment and will portray a favorable image of the individual and the school.
MINIMUM DRESS REQUIREMENTS
- No warm-up pants, wind pants, cargo (multiple large pockets) pants or cargo shorts, biking shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, stretch pants, pajama bottoms, or leggings are allowed as pants. Leggings and tights must be worn with shirts or skirts/skorts that are not more than 3” above the knees. Sagging pants will not be allowed.
- Clothing must cover from the top of the shoulder and extend down to mid-thigh.
- Rips or tears in clothing should be lower than mid-thigh.
- See-through or mesh garments must not be worn without clothing underneath that meet the minimum dress code requirements.
- Shoes must be worn and properly tied or fastened. House shoes and shower shoes are not permitted.
- Clothing may not depict, imply, advertise, or advocate illegal, violent, or lewd conduct, weapons, or the use of alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
- Clothing may not depict or imply pornography, nudity or sexual acts.
- Clothing may not display or imply vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene language or images.
- Clothing may not state, imply, or depict hate speech/imagery targeting groups based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or any other protected classification.
- Apparel, jewelry, accessories, or any manner of grooming that by virtue of its color, arrangement, trademark, or any other attribute, denotes membership in a gang that advocates for illegal or disruptive behavior is prohibited.
- Midriff must be covered.
- Hoods may not be worn while in the school building.
In each school, the teachers and administrators are responsible for enforcing the dress code policy. The principal shall have authority to determine whether a student is meeting the dress code standards. Students will be subject to dispositions indicated in the discipline policy of each school for failure to comply with the dress code. Please review the Student Handbook for more about dress code enforcement.
Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District students in grades 6-12 will be required to show identification (ID) badges at all times on school grounds if requested by school personnel. Failure to show an ID badge will be treated as a discipline offense. Students must adhere to the below listed information concerning ID badges.
- ID badges are property of the Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District and must not be defaced.
The badge will be confiscated and the student must purchase a new ID if this occurs. Picture and information must be clearly visible.
- Students must not wear an ID badge belonging to another student. These IDs will be confiscated.
- Every student is issued an ID badge and lanyard at the beginning of the school year. If students misplace or lose their ID, a new one must be purchased ($2.00 for each badge, $1.00 for each lanyard).
- Students are required to have their ID badge to check out books in the media center.
- Students are required to have their ID badge for breakfast/lunch checkout.